[rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to connect multiple consumers to a queue bound to fanned out exchange

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sun Jul 17 10:51:59 BST 2011

Uday,

On 14/07/11 20:19, Uday Mitra wrote:
> I wonder if the AMQP design is such that fanout is considered an
> exchange and so we cannot share the queue?

AMQP permits consumers to share queues. Regardless of what exchange
these queues are bound to.

However, as Simon explained, consumers can request exclusive access to a
queue, preventing sharing of the queue with other consumers. The error
message you get from qpid indicates that the client library is doing
just that. I suggest you ask the qpid folks how to change that behaviour.

Regards,

Matthias.