[rabbitmq-discuss] Debian Packaging for additional components

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at bennee.com
Tue Jul 12 19:28:57 BST 2011

Hi,

I'm looking at utilising RabbitMQ's STOMP plugin as a message bus for
a boxed product the company I work for sells. From mentions on the IRC
channel it was noted that Ubuntu/Debian's packages are generally out
of date and I was pointed at:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/debian.html

However this repo only packages the core server but not any of the
plugins. Before I spend too much time delving into the intricacies of
packaging Erlang code with common build-infrastructure I thought I'd
better check:

1. Does anyone already package the plugins as debs?
2. If not, is anyone currently working on it?
3. If not, would patches adding debian/ to the source tree be acceptable?

Assuming I don't get lucky....

I suspect I'll have to package rabbitmq-public-umbrella and build all
the plugins from one source repository as I'm not sure there is an
easy way to create a pristine tarball with out-of-tree source
dependencies.

Do the plugins share a common version ID? From what I can see the
"make co" is essentially the HEAD of all the sub-dir plugins. I
suspect this means the versions will have to be something like
${SERVER_VERSION}-hg-`date`.

Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk