[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ: Implementing "Topic" feature of ActiveMQ via RabbitMQ.

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jul 11 15:02:19 BST 2011

Gurpreet,

[adding the list back on 'cc']

On 11/07/11 14:48, GURPREET SINGH wrote:
> Got it. It means, that the consumer has to keep the queue name very
> secret, since if it is hacked by someone then this will be very
> troublesome to the original user.

Sure, but that's unavoidable, i.e. something somewhere has to remain secret.

One can shift the secrecy to the authentication scheme, e.g. by
partitioning the queue name space between users.

> Also, there can be a situation when a consumer creates a durable queue,
> uses it to receive messages.
> Now, the same consumer creates another queue, uses it and then create
> another queue again. This will
> cause lot of junk queues and memory wasted for those types of junk
> queues, and might reduce the performance of RabbitMQ.
> Is there anything like a time-out thing, i.e. if there is no consumer
> for a specified duration of time, the queue gets auto-deleted.
> I know about auto-delete option but that deletes the queue as soon as
> there is no other consumer connected to it, there is no timeout concept.

We invented queue leases
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html#queue-leases) for that very
purpose :)

Matthias.