[rabbitmq-discuss] /var/lib/rabbitmq/pids

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 5 14:28:20 BST 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 06:22:53AM -0700, Ronen wrote:
> Matthew, I did see the pid entry under the status, I was hopping to
> skip the need of parsing it but I guess ill have to try it also

I think either approach would work ok, though both have drawbacks.

Editing the init file is a drawback from a maintanence pov, though the
solution there is more robust.

Using rabbitmqctl means you'll have a potential race - you'll think
you've started rabbit, but it can be a while before rabbitmqctl status
thinks rabbit's managed to start up. You could use rabbitmqctl wait in
this case, but that adds further complexity, and is buggy anyway!

Matthew