[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-c -- multiple exectables receiving same message

Lowell.Boggs at emc.com Lowell.Boggs at emc.com
Fri Jul 1 14:56:29 BST 2011

HI Simon -- thanks for trying to help!

The two executables are not in fact receiving the messages in a round-robin fashion.  They are both receiving all of the messages.

I send 4000 messages and both executables receive all 4000 in sequence.  It was my understanding that the point of the tutorial was to demonstrate a round robin delivery of 1/2 of the messages to each consumer so as to accomplish load balancing.  The examples in the tutorial page show that of the 5 messages sent as a test, 3 went to one python consumer task and the 2 going to the other.

Our use of the rabbit-mq entirely depends on this load balancing feature.  If I can't get this to work like the tutorial, we need to pursue a different messaging solution.  I guess I'll have to copy the python examples out of the tutorial and see if the tutorial actually works -- maybe the actual python source will tell me what I' might be doing wrong.

Thanks,
   Lowell