[rabbitmq-discuss] Ordering of redelivered messages?

Grzegorz Nosek root at localdomain.pl
Fri Jan 28 15:16:18 GMT 2011

W dniu 28.01.2011 16:01, Marek Majkowski pisze:
>> So "delivered" means to a queue, not to a consumer,
>
> Both, depending on context :)

Oh. ;)

> A queue is a FIFO structure.
>
> When you do "basic_consume" or "basic_get", from your
> program (let's call this program a "consumer"), a message
> gets send over the wire from the server to the consumer,
> and it's delivered to your "consumer".
>
> At that point two things can happen:

(...)

Well, we didn't even get to that point as the only consumer disconnected
a few seconds earlier leaving an empty, non-autodelete queue. Does the
first consumer binding to a queue trigger:

a) _delivery_ of the accumulated messages (with ordering preserved)

or

b) _redelivery_ (with no ordering guarantees)

?

If a) is true, then I screwed up somewhere else and need to find out
where but if b) is the case, then it explains what I have seen even if
it's not intuitive (who was the original delivery to, if this new
consumer is the first one these messages have ever seen?)

Apologies for probably dumb questions but I'd rather grok the issue.

Best regards,
  Grzegorz Nosek