[rabbitmq-discuss] Shovel bug? Consumer hangs after network failure.

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jan 27 18:30:23 GMT 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:00:41PM +0100, Øyvind Tjervaag wrote:
> > Yes, this is largely to be expected. Consuming is an asynchronous
> > activity and the Rabbit1 -> Rabbit2 shovel is just consuming from queues
> > on Rabbit1. Until the socket is closed by the kernel, it won't
> > necessarily notice that Rabbit1 has gone down. TCP timeouts can
> > sometimes be quite long. So, I would recommend that you turn on
> > heartbeats on that shovel. Unfortunately, looking through the source, I
> > see there is no way to turn on heartbeats. Sigh. I'll file a bug and get
> > that added.
>
> Thanks! Figured something like this was happening.

This bug has now been fixed. If you compile the shovel from the latest
source from our repos, then you'll find that you can now specify
?heartbeat=5 at the end of the broker URI (amongst other parameters).
This will be in the next release if you're not comfortable with
compiling from source.

Matthew