[rabbitmq-discuss] pika - dealing with exceptions

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jan 25 10:51:06 GMT 2011

Michael Klishin wrote:
> 2011/1/25 Marcin Krol <mrkafk at gmail.com <mailto:mrkafk at gmail.com>>
>
>     I tested it that way: client sent the message and disconnected
>     immediately. After all, there is no guarantee that in production use
>     some client won't do smth like this, and if it creates uncatcheable
>     exception in server, that's a problem.
>

> I completely agree. This is an excellent test case for applications.
> However,
> from the protocol point of view, it's just a wrong use of auto-deleted
> queues.
> So I am not sure what libraries behavior should be. This is relevant to all
> clients and worth mentioning in tutorials that demonstrate uses of
> auto-deled queues.

There is nothing wrong with using exclusive queues for replies. In fact
they are nearly always the right choice, which is why our RPC tutorial
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorial-six-python.html) employs them.

Publish operations do not fail just because a queue doesn't exist.
Marcin, please inspect the error you get in your rpc server. It should
tell you what the problem is. Or look in the server logs.

Regards,

Matthias.