[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl help

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jan 20 16:29:33 GMT 2011

Joel,

Please keep the mailing list CC'd - then others can benefit from the
discussion.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 04:21:25PM +0000, Joel Grandin wrote:
> When I did that I got an error message so perhaps I am not defining the $NODE correctly.
>
> If I look at the server management console I see that the node is defined by
>
> Erlang Nodename	rabbit at my-server-name
> Operating System PID	32506
> Bound To	0.0.0.0:5672
> File Descriptors	30 / 2560 (used/available)
> Erlang Processes	202 / 1048576 (used/available)
> Memory		31.6MB / 4.6GB (used/available)
>
> If I ping "my-server-name" I get a valid response.
>
> If I then use it in this format I get
>
> rabbitmqctl -n rabbit at my-server-name list_consumers
> Listing consumers ...
> Error: {'EXIT',{{case_clause,{{badrpc,nodedown}}},
>                 [{rabbit_control,'-action/5-lc$^0/1-0-',1},
>                  {rabbit_control,action,5},
>                  {rabbit_control,start,0},
>                  {init,start_it,1},
>                  {init,start_em,1}]}}
>
> How would you define the port too?

5672 is merely the AMQP port. You need to make sure that it can access
epmd on my-server-name which should be port 4369. See the man page for
epmd if you need to change that.

If you have no firewall between these machines at all then it would
likely be some sort of DNS resolution issue, but seeing as you can ping
the server, that seems unlikely.

Matthew