[rabbitmq-discuss] Custom storage backends for queues (MySQL)

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Mon Jan 17 20:22:04 GMT 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Jerry Kuch wrote:

> Exist support for custom storage backends (like MySQL) in RabbitMQ 2.2 or not?
>
> Storage backends based on MySQL and Mnesia are currently under development.  There has also been some discussion of various NoSQL stores, although no firm plans have been made.  We should have something more to say in the near future.

I think it would be cool to have messages stored in K/V stores like Riak, Couch, or Mongo and be able to subscribe to queues based on queries (like SQL views) which is something I've had on my mind recently. I dug into the core RabbitMQ code the other day to see how feasible this would be and it looks reasonably straightforward. I've been using Riak a lot lately, so I'd likely start with that and the protobuff client.

What about metadata? I think that's all stored in mnesia now, right? How hard would it be to keep that data in the same storage backend?

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin

        Web: http://jbrisbin.com/
    Twitter: @j_brisbin