[rabbitmq-discuss] Distributing clients across a cluster

Mark J. Reed markjreed at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 14:58:11 GMT 2011

What do you all do to distribute activity across a cluster?  That is,
given a cluster of rabbitmq brokers and a group of client applications
that each expect to be configured to talk to a single broker, what do
I do?

1. Stand up TCP load-balancer in front of the cluster?
2. Assign a cluster node to each client pseudo-randomly?
3. Set up each client host as an additional rabbitmq broker and point
the applications at localhost?

The recommendation I got from a colleague was #3, but I've had some
trouble getting servers to cluster together when they have different
opinions about the overall set of hosts in the cluster.

I found a couple threads (e.g.
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2010-July/008124.html)
that pose similar questions, but no clear (to me) guidance; I guess I
still don't fully grok the AMQP Way.

Any recommendations appreciated.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed at gmail.com>