[rabbitmq-discuss] about msg_store_persistent folder

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jan 13 12:54:40 GMT 2011

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 03:17:48PM +0800, Kevin Chan wrote:
>   I send msg to rabbbitmq server ,on the server,the folder(
> /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at localhost/msg_store_transient) size will
> became bigger and bigger.how to deal with
> it. may i del this folder's file when rabbitmq server running,or is there
> any way to limmit the folder growing?

The way to limit the folder growing is to consume and acknowledge
messages from the broker. Rabbit will only write messages to disk which
have not been consumed and when necessary - either the messages are
being published persistent (delivery_mode = 2) or the broker is under
memory pressure and is thus writing to disk to free up memory.

If you stop the queues from growing (either by not publishing messages,
or by consuming and acknowledging messages from the queues) then Rabbit
will have no reason to write messages to disk.

Matthew