[rabbitmq-discuss] Consumers stops to pick up messages after long inactivity

Neha nehakothari86 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 21:57:08 GMT 2011

I have an application which uses rabbitmq. It has messages being sent
from Monday to Friday and on the weekend there are no messages sent.

The application works fine on regular days, i.e producers puts the
message on the queue and the consumer receives the message. But every
Monday, after the weekend the consumer starts behaving strangely. It
stops receiving messages even though the queue has messages present.
The heartbeat of the consumer all this time is working fine but it
still doesn't receive all these messages on the queue. To overcome
this problem I have to restart the consumers every Monday, and as soon
as I do that, all the messages that are present in the queue starts
getting consumed.

Looking at a problem, I feel it might be due to inactivity during the
weekend. I wanted to know if anyone else has faced this problem
wherein the consumer stops consuming after a long duration of
inactivity? Is there a setting to be tweaked to increase this period?

Comments, suggestions, help is appreciated.

Thanks
Neha