[rabbitmq-discuss] Management API questions

James Casey jamesc.000 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 09:00:34 GMT 2011

Hi,

I've written some Nagios plugins using the management API :
<http://github.com/jamesc/nagios-plugins-rabbitmq> to do some remote
monitoring of a broker.  I just wanted to clarify some things I see
when running them.

Currently I use 2 API calls:

1)  /api/aliveness-test

I have a question here - is it understood that testing only 1 vhost is
enough to check the aliveness of the broker, or should all vhosts be
tested?

2) /api/nodes

I want to reduce the permissions of the monitoring user to the
minimum, in particular to not give it admin rights.  But I note that
/api/nodes is protected and only accessible by admin (while other
generic calls such as /api/overview) are not.  Is this a design
decision or a bug ?

Anyway, the management API is great and has made it very easy to write
these nagios checks.

cheers,

James.