[rabbitmq-discuss] Web use scenarios

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Jan 5 07:15:34 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:12 PM, andrew chase <andrew at glyde.com> wrote:

> Most of your bullet points are outside the realm (IMO) of what a
> message system should be concerned with. In particular, it looks like
> most of the features you're after are more in line with what a
> background job processing system would handle. Those types of systems
> often use messaging under the covers but often also use some type of
> persistent data store in addition (or instead of) a messaging system.
> I'd suggest taking a look at a couple of these systems to see if they
> may be more what you're after (I know a couple ruby-based ones of the
> top of my head like Resque, DelayedJob, etc
> https://github.com/defunkt/resque).

Thanks Andrew,

I spent some time looking at those tonight and came full circle.  Found a
post where Resque was used as a replacement for DJ and then in the post's
comments people suggesting RabbitMQ... ;)  I'll keep reading, though.  I
have plenty to learn.

I think our organization has been in the habit of building somewhat
monolithic code and are looking for a solution that does everything as we do
it now.  I'm concerned we will attempt to build our own if we can't find a
perfect fit, which I suspect is a much harder task to get right than we
think.  As for scheduling, we already have a database table with the
scheduled items, so maybe we only need a few producers that run from cron.

I had two slightly more RabbitMQ-specific questions that are hopefully more
straight forward to answer.

When a job is re-queued due to failure to ACK is there anything that
indicates to the next consumer that the message has already been delivered
to a failed consumer? I need a way to recognize that a message is causing
consumers to die and stop the job.

And is it a common pattern for consumers to use RabbitMQ to message back
that their work is done?  I was wondering if that's a good use for x-expires
and/or x-message-ttl.

Thanks again,

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org