[rabbitmq-discuss] Secure Storage of Durable Messages?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri Dec 16 12:38:28 GMT 2011

Hi Colin,

On 15/12/11 15:12, cocowalla wrote:
> We can use SSL to secure messages in transit, but are durable messages
> stored securely, or is there a way to configure this?
>
> By 'securely', I mean encrypted and/or cryptographically signed?

No, messages that get stored on disk are not persisted securely and no
such option is currently available.

You could point $RABBITMQ_MNESIA_BASE at an encrypted filesystem.

Another alternative is to encrypt individual message payloads. Bear in
mind that the rest of the message envelope (including headers if you
didn't encrypt them separately) will still be readable.

-Emile