[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem auto-deleting large number of queues?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sun Aug 28 10:56:34 BST 2011

(adding the list back on cc)

On 28/08/11 09:37, Michael Chiang wrote:
> We have some front end servers serving a bunch of clients through tcp
> connections.  Each server can serve around 10k clients.  A client can
> be online and connected to a server  for hours, and then go offline
> for hours as well.  The clients might move around servers between
> each session.  Also, we might want to be able to persist messages
> when client goes offline for certain messages.  I am exploring
> options to route messages to a client.  One idea is to have a
> connection between our server and a rabbitmq server, and have one
> queue for each client (with client id as a routing key), and hence
> this particular test.

So the 10 connections in your test simulate the connections from the f/e
server, and the 20k queues per connections is the number of clients
connected to that server? If so, surely having the queues exclusively
owned would prevent clients from moving between f/e servers. You may
want to look at the "queue leases" feature
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html#queue-leases).

Regards,

Matthias.