[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem auto-deleting large number of queues?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sat Aug 27 15:29:59 BST 2011

Michael,

On 27/08/11 09:08, Michael Chiang wrote:
> Hello, I just started playing around with rabbitmq and ran into some
> issue with auto-deleting large number of queues.
> [...]
> If I shutdown each consumer gracefully (ie, by calling
> channel.close() and then connection.close()), the rabbitMQ server
> takes about 300 seconds to auto-delete all the queues without much
> issues.
>
> The problem comes if I don't shutdown the consumers gracefully.  If I
> kill all 10 consumers simultaneously without doing
> channel.close/connection.close, the RabbitMQ server suddenly have
> trouble auto-deleting those queues.

In the graceful closure case, do you terminate the consumers
simultaneously or in parallel?

Is there a difference between using one connection with 200k queues vs
10 connections with 20k queues each?

I have some idea of what might be going on, but it would help if you
condensed your test into a single program - perhaps using multiple
threads - and sent it to us. Thanks.

Matthias.