[rabbitmq-discuss] Management Plugin stops gathering stats ?

Rene Parra rparra at homeaway.com
Thu Aug 25 18:12:11 BST 2011

Matthias, et.al,

It took me a while to answer this, sorry for the delay.

We have since upgraded to 2.5.1 and erlang R14B03.

The publish rates seem to only work if I use the CachingConnectionFactory in
Spring vs the SingleConnectionFactory. Makes sense, because when I use
SingleConnectionFactory, my publisher is creating and closing a connection
on every single publish.... therefore rabbit only can create statistics for
a connection that no longer exists (wouldn't make sense unless you are doing
historic stats, which I'd be surprised if you do).

FWIW,

The stats bug, and the memory bug seem to be better in 2.5.1/R14B03. We are
progressing with our soak / load tests at a very light load (100 TPS).

I was able to exhibit the stats bug, and hence memory bug however in
2.5.1/R14B03 under high load.

The video is here:

TimePoints:
* @ 0m00s:  - Memory Pressure WORKING, Throttling ACTIVE
* @ 0m37s:  - BANG! Statistics stop collecting
* @ 0m56s:  - Showing how Memory Level now exceeded.

Good news is all the messages were indeed delivered.
Bad news even after the test completed, I had to restart RabbitMQ to recover
the memory back down to a normal state and get the stats/memory
level/publish throttling working again.

We are going to continue with our tests @ 100TPS (since that is all we need
for our initial application) but would appreciate any other insight that we
can provide for you on this issue.

Thank you for your help!
--rparra

Note: The above screencast was done after we upgraded to 2.5.1 but BEFORE we
upgraded to erlang R14B03.  We have not run the heavy load against R14B03
yet.