[rabbitmq-discuss] major failure when clearing large queue backlog

Aaron Westendorf aaron at agoragames.com
Tue Aug 16 13:45:27 BST 2011

Since restarting rabbit is a major disruption to service, changing
that value will probably wait until next week at the earliest. Seeing
as I have some time, I'd like to make sure we set it to a value that
we're happy with.

The documentation says only that disabling memsup will prevent
throttling of producers. There's also discussion about the Erlang
garbage collector, which I can see being responsible for the situation
I originally described.

http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html#memsup

We've been running this configuration for a long time now, and I
vaguely recall that when the spool-to-disk feature was added, it was
dependent on this setting. However, I've seen it write to disk even
with this setting off so I may be mistaken. Regardless, we don't have
support in our applications for flow control (yet?) so I've been wary
to enable vm_memory_high_watermark. I plan to add a concept of flow
control strategies to haigha so that common use cases can be
abstracted without per-app implementations.

I've seen rabbit use much more than 1GB so I don't think it's defaulted to that.

-Aaron