[rabbitmq-discuss] What is rabbitmq heartbeat?

Alexandru Scvorţov alexandru at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 11 08:48:05 BST 2011

> Can someone explain the heartbeat?

If heartbeats are enabled on a connection, the server periodically sends
heartbeat frames to the client and waits for its response.  The heartbeat
frames are effectively empty messages.  If either side misses a certain
number of heartbeats, the connection is closed.  This is usually used to
a) check that the other side is still online and hasn't crashed without
closing the connection or the socket and b) to bypass certain routing
devices that timeout a connection due to inactivity.

> As I have mentioned before - the rabbit client that is acts as a json rpc
> server receives all the client request
> but after a while it stops respondnig until the process restarts (java
> client restart) .

That doesn't sound like a problem usually solved by heartbeats, but
enabling them may tell you fairly quickly when the client stops
responding.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alex