[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ as website presence system

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:40:27 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:22, Maimon Oded <oded.maimon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you know of anyone using RabbitMQ as a presence solution ? (like done
> with XMPP servers).
> if you use it for this purpose, can you describe how please?

Hi,

RabbitMQ (and AMQP in general) don't support anything related
to 'presence'. From RabbitMQ point of view, user produces
messages, user consumes messages and that's more or less it.

Maintaining presence is (in my opinion) application specific,
and in most cases you should end up implementing roster
in your application.

In ideal world you could do that by just sending a message to yourself
when user connects and disconnects, however in practice that's
usually not so trivial.

In order to do this simple thing server-side Tony wrote a x-presence
exchange plugin some time ago. Here it is, I dusted it off a bit:
  https://github.com/majek/rabbitmq-x-presence

Take a look, and please do tell us if it helps to solve your particular problem.

Cheers,
  Marek