[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ warrens

Joe Van Dyk joevandyk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:17:35 BST 2011

The Manning RabbitMQ In Action book states:

"Now if what we really need is absolute "high availability" with no
possibilities of message loss we can build a "warren" using two
standalone RabbitMQ servers with a load balancer making them appear as
one to our applications."

A "warren" is two unconnected rabbitmq instances with a load balancer
in front -- one rabbitmq is the master and the other is the standby.
If the load balancer notices the master is down, it will send the
traffic to the standby one, using a config like:

listen rabbitmq 0.0.0.0:5680
  mode tcp
  balance roundrobin
  server master :5675 check inter 5000 rise 2 fall 3
  server standby :5675 backup check inter 5000 rise 2 fall 3

I don't get how this prevents message loss.  If there's messages in
the master's queue and it goes down (hard drive explodes), those
messages are lost, right?