[rabbitmq-discuss] Error Creating cluster in RabbitMQ on EC2

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:57:30 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:39, News Aanad <news.anand11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reply Marek Majkowski,
>     I have tried with that by setting up the port in erlang with command
>
>         application:set_env(kernel, inet_dist_listen_min, 9100).
> 	application:set_env(kernel, inet_dist_listen_max, 9105).
>
> and I have also open the port 9100-9105 and also open the port 4369.
> But when I am checking  connectivity  by command
> net_adm:ping(nodename at host).  it gives me repies me as "pang"
> Now I am confused that what should be the problem.
> Is it mendatory to set it over both the EC2 Instance?

RabbitMQ clustering is based on Erlang clustering. If you want to setup
a rabbitmq cluster, you should make sure that the firewall is properly
configured and that erlang clustering indeed works.

I propose that before you try to cluster rabbits, you should try
to set up the most straightforward erlang cluster, to prove
that the firewall and settings are correct.

One of the options to play with it is by using erlang interperter.

Actually I misled you, running erlang interpreter without any options
won't work,
you must set a cookie, make sure that the inet_dist_listen_min/max settings
are correct.

There is plenty of resources about erlang clustering available online.

Cheers,
  Marek