[rabbitmq-discuss] Message payload encoding

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Aug 1 10:54:16 BST 2011

On 29/07/11 19:00, Helena Edelson wrote:
> UTF-8 or base64

I'm curious - those are the two options supported by the management
plugin - are you sending messages through that?

If so, the idea is that UTF-8 is more convenient if your message payload
is a string, but if your message needs to contain arbitrary binary
content then we need to encode it somehow (as the message will end up as
a string in a JSON document).

If you're using AMQP then this doesn't apply, the message contents can
be any binary, and using base64 encoding would be an odd choice!

It you are sending messages via the management API, be aware that it's
designed for testing / diagnostics / experimentation - performance is
not great, and there's no way to get greater reliability than consuming
with noack.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen