[rabbitmq-discuss] Message Aggregating Queue

Alexis Richardson alexis at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 28 10:06:26 BST 2011

Jason

Interesting stuff :-)

Prior discussions on this subject have tended to the view that the
exchange is the best place to cache a 'last value'.

In your example below, the way to identify that #1 and #3 refer to the
same stock would be to use the stock ticker (eg "UBS") as the routing
key in a direct exchange.

See for example this prototype: https://github.com/squaremo/rabbitmq-lvc-plugin

An aggregation capability is also doable but it's not obvious what the
best way to do it is.  It depends whether aggregate messages are the
same type as their constituents.  If they are not, as in your example,
then you might want to republish a new aggregate message whenever
something changes, and then cache aggregates using the LVC approach.

alexis