[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering issue

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Tue Apr 19 11:59:39 BST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 01:33:15AM -0700, Valentin Bernard wrote:
> I have a question regarding clustering. If, for test reasons, I break
> the physical link between two nodes (without stopping them), then
> restore the link, the cluster is split and the nodes can't communicate
> between each other until I either kill a node process and restart it,
> or run the stop_app/cluster/start_app commands on one node with
> rabbitmqctl.
>
> Is that a normal behavior?

Yes.

> I couldn't find any documentation or
> discussion about this issue. Is there a way to make the nodes
> automatically join the cluster back after a network failure?

No, not without resetting one node. During the time of the network
partition, both nodes remain working, but they can diverge - e.g. one
node could have a client delete a queue, but the other node doesn't.
It's then not clear what should happen when the partition goes away.
Rabbit does not attempt to cope with partitions - it's incredibly
difficult.

Matthew