[rabbitmq-discuss] server crashes with very fast consumers

alex chen chen650 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 05:21:13 BST 2011

John,

> In many of my tests, I ran with a 32-bit Erlang, and with a relatively small
>amount of RAM. RabbitMQ had to do quite a lot more work to conserve RAM, and
>sometimes it failed to do so fast enough, and Erlang couldn't allocate more
>memory, and crashed.

that is exactly what happened in our tests.  the broker's memory keeps on
increasing until it reaches near 4GB (32 bit limit), then it crashes.  i think
if you increase the RAM, cpu cores (we use 8 core) and disk speed (RAID), the
broker is more likely to crash, because the memory leak increases as messagne
consuming rate increases.  you can move the consumers to other machines. as long
as they are close to the broker, the consuming rate will still be very high, and
broker would crash.  you mentioned that your machine started swaping while
running the tests.  this swaping actually could slow down the messages reads
from disk, so broker is less likely to crash.

thanks.

-alex