[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering in WAN using shovel plugin

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Thu Apr 14 19:35:28 BST 2011

Hi, Dhivya...

> I have been trying to make clustering across WAN.I have downloaded
> shovel -2.3.1.ez file and by putting it inside plugins folder of
> rabbitmq_server-2.3.1 installed it and successfully started the
> broker.
>
> I am following the steps of rabbitmq-shovel-README from
> http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-shovel/file/rabbitmq_v2_4_1/README
>
> and configured my rabbitmq.config as follows

(Quoting the example you attached to your mail...)

   [{rabbit,
   [
   MNESIA_BASE=/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia
   LOG_BASE=/var/log/rabbitmq
   DEFAULT_NODE_IP_ADDRESS=auto
   NODE_PORT=5672
   NODENAME=rabbit
   CONFIG_FILE=/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq
   ]
   },

Is the snippet above literally excerpted from your rabbitmq.config
file?  From what you've put in, it looks like you may be thinking of
the rabbitmq-env.conf file which can be used to set environment
variables on non-Windows systems.  For the rabbitmq-env.conf file you
can just put lines of the form VARIABLE=value.  You can read more
about it here:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/man/rabbitmq-env.conf.5.man.html

Also, if you are just setting up environment variables, you've got
what look like default values (at least for some platforms) set here
for most things.

The rabbitmq.config file, whose structure roughly matches the
outermost layers of what you've done here, is actually written in
Erlang, and what you have here isn't valid Erlang.  In particular, the
stuff inside square brackets is an Erlang list, whose members need to
be comma-separated.  The things in the Rabbit app config list need to
be 2-tuples (i.e. pairs of comma-separated things wrapped in curly
brackets '{').  The first member of one of these tuples has to be an
Erlang "atom" that names some property you want the config to set.

You can read more about how an Erlang config file is structured here:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/config.html

That said, what you seem to be trying to change in this example
should be settable through the rabbitmq-env.conf file.

Sorry about the confusion.  That some files like this are actually
Erlang code sometimes confuses newcomers to Rabbit who aren't
expecting this or don't have an Erlang background to recognize them as
such.

Best regards,
Jerry