[rabbitmq-discuss] Drawbacks and advantages of "autoack" mode?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 14 10:49:36 BST 2011

On 14/04/11 10:45, Alfonso Pantoja wrote:
> I'm wondering which are the drawbacks/advantages of running a consumer
> set to ack=true mode (so messages are ack'd when delivered to a
> consumer)

Note: auto_ack = true really means no_ack = true, i.e. the broker will
consider the message acked as soon as it's gone to a consumer.

Advantages:

* It's faster

Drawbacks:

* If the client fails or the network goes down between the broker
sending the message and the consumer processing it (in some sense) then
the message will be lost.

> specially in critical systems where losing a message is not
> an option.

In this case, use explicit acks. No excuses :)

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ