[rabbitmq-discuss] errors from management plugin appear to stop messages delivery

Ian Ragsdale ian.ragsdale at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:39:06 BST 2011

Hello all.  I've been having some real trouble since upgrading to RabbitMQ 2.4.x with the management plugin (I tried both 2.4.0 and 2.4.1).  On a fairly regular basis (more than once per day), a request to the management plugin will fail with the following error (truncated, the full error is over 2MB, and is attached as a file):

=ERROR REPORT==== 12-Apr-2011::13:58:31 ===
JSON encode error: {bad_term,{messages,0}}
While encoding:
[[{memory,12864},
  {messages,0},
  {consumer_details,

Once this has happened, the server starts failing to function - existing messages appear to no longer be delivered, and pushes of new messages fail.  The only recourse I know of is to restart.  We use the management plugin to query the size of queues to make sure we're keeping up with delivery, so it's hard for me to just turn it off.  Are there any suggestions for how to debug or work around this?

Thanks,
Ian