[rabbitmq-discuss] aliveness-test issue

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Apr 12 13:42:38 BST 2011

On 11/04/11 18:24, Byron Albert wrote:
> I am using the aliveness-test to test via zenoss and after a few weeks
> the test stops responding. If I run it on a different vhost it works.
> This is getting tested every 5 min so wondering if there is some counter
> that is overflowing or something…

Hmm. No, there's no counter. I just ran jmeter against the
aliveness-test URI for about 20k iterations, which should be equivalent
to several weeks at one request every 5 min and it was fine.

Looking at the code though, I think it could get wedged if the aliveness
test ever blows up after declaring the consumer but before cancelling it
- you'd have a stale consumer that stuck around and would probably
consume the test message first. I still can't figure out how that would
actually happen though. I don't suppose you have logs that show the
response the first time it got stuck (or rather, just before that)?

That would explain why switching to a different vhost fixes it - the new
queue would not have a stale consumer. You could also fix it by deleting
the queue - it'll get recreated when needed.

Anyway, I'll file a bug to ensure we always tear down the consumer here.
Thanks for the report.

Cheers, Simon
--
Simon MacMullen