[rabbitmq-discuss] Alternate Exchanges: How to?

Alfonso Pantoja alfonso.pantoja at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:08:39 BST 2011

On 1 abr, 14:36, Simon MacMullen <si... at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> Not sure I understand. Exchanges exist in all nodes in a cluster
> simultaneously - so using alternate exchanges is no different in a cluster.

Hi Simon, I meant that in a clustered scenario (server A and server B)
what is the best strategy using alternate exchanges for ensuring that
no messages are lost when the link between server A and server B
fails.

Something like this? (just examples)

Server A
------------
Exchange MainA  (exchange created on A) ---> Alternate AE_A1 ---> bind
to a queue in server A?

Server B
-----------
Exchange  MainA (exchange created on A seen in B too)  --> Alternate
AE_A1 ---> bind to a queue in server B?

or....

Server A
------------
Exchange MainA  (exchange created on A)  ---> Alternate AE_A1 --->
bind to a queue in server A?

Server B
-----------
Exchange  MainB  (exchange created on B)  --> Alternate AE_B1
(alternate exchange created in server B)  ---> bind to a queue in
server B?

I suppose exchanges are created on a single server but are "seen" by
the rest of servers of the cluster but I'm not sure what happens when
the link is lost and the 2
and you are using alternate exchanges and don't want to loose any
message sent to B with a destination somewhere in server A.

Regards,

Alfonso