[rabbitmq-discuss] Message Groups

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Apr 4 09:02:44 BST 2011

Richard,

Richard.Bolen at gxs.com wrote:
> I’m new to AMQP and I was wondering how to use rabbitMQ to implement
> a messaging pattern.  I would like to have a pool of workers that
> process messages from a queue.  There are various message types but
> they each type can belong to a specific person.  The messages must be
> processed in the order they are received on a per-person basis.

You could set up the routing topology s.t. the set of persons is
partitioned between the workers, with each worker having their own queue
and creating bindings corresponding to the sub-set of persons for which
they are processing messages.

But this only works when the number of workers and persons is constant.
More dynamic setups are possible but require the introduction of
intermediaries.

> For activeMQ they call this message groups. [...] Is there a similar
> pattern for AMQP/rabbitMQ?

No. Message groups are on our todo list, but so far we haven't received
many requests for it, so it's low priority.

Regards,

Matthias.