[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server start crashing on start

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Tue Sep 28 12:19:20 BST 2010

Hi Chandra,

Chandra R <mybayworkz at gmail.com> writes:
> I am trying to run rabbitmq 2.1.0 on my PC as a server with 2 gb ram. But it
> is crashing on start.
> Activating Rabbitmq plugins ...0 plugins activated and it crashes as erl.exe
> uses up all the memory.
>
> Is it because of resources  because I have set all the class paths and have
> erlang installed at C:\Elang\erl5.7.4
> and rabbitmq at C:\rabbit\rabbitmq_server-2.1.0 because I was told there
> were some issues when trying to install at "Program files" because of the
> space in the folder name.

There are no issue with installing rabbitmq-server in a folder with
spaces in its name.  We often test with it installed under "C:\Program
Files\RabbitMQ".

>  I am new to rabbitmq and  I have been trying to run it on Windows XP with
> 2.5 gb on a VM (Also tried on XP with 3.5 gb on a VM) but it crashes.

Can you confirm whether you are seeing this problem with a fresh install
of rabbitmq-server, or was rabbitmq-server already installed on the
machine?

> Later I found that I was using extension .conf instead of .config,
> which I corrected.

What are you putting in the .config file?  If you are just trying to get
rabbit running for te first time, you shouldn't generally need to put
anything in config files.

> Still it does the same thing, crashing. No logs are being created.
> I am using erlang 5.7.4 and tried rabbitmq 2.1.0 & 1.8.1.

Are you sure that no logs are being created?  By default,
rabbitmq-server will log to files in the folder "%APPDATA%\RabbitMQ\log"
(do "echo %APPDATA%" at a command prompt to find out what it is set to).
Normally there should be rabbit.log and rabbit-sasl.log files there.

> I have attached crash dump zip

Thanks for including that.  But I'm afraid that it doesn't really give
much clue as to the cause of your problem.

It does indicate that several minutes pass between the erlang VM
starting and the crash dump being produced.  Is that correct?  What is
happening during that time?  If you observe the process in Task Manager,
is it using a lot of CPU?

David

--
David Wragg