[rabbitmq-discuss] Schedule Messages

Jon Brisbin jon.brisbin at npcinternational.com
Mon Sep 27 16:40:27 BST 2010

I do something very similar with retries when operations triggered by a message fail. On failure, I write the message, exchange, routing key, and header information to a Riak server. A scheduled job comes along later and removes these messages from Riak and re-publishes them. The process may or may not be repeated N times, depending on whether later runs were successful or not.

I don't know if Rabbit has this functionality built-in, but having a "delayed delivery" would be awesome.

The only other way to do it is to actually publish and deliver a message, but have the consumer delay acting on it. I felt like a more reliable solution is to persist a message to a NoSQL store where I can delete, retrieve, or replay the message as many times as I want to. It adds another component to the mix, but I use Riak for things like this anyway, so why not? :)

Jon Brisbin
Portal Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.