[rabbitmq-discuss] Thoughts from a new user

elij elij.mx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 04:19:14 BST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Adam Nelson <adam at varud.com> wrote:
> Alexis/David,
> I think the response from the group has been awesome.  Takeaways:
> 1. Everybody who is on a Mac likes Homebrew.  It should at least be referred
> to on the downloads page, and most likely, it should be the default
> installation recommendation for Mac users.

I personally use macports, and prefer it.
I _want_ clean versions of core libraries not tied to os updates, so
if I get an osx update it will not break anything I have installed via
macports. Similarly, my macports binaries are using newever library
versions than the core os ships, and I often get security updates
there MUCH faster (such as the recent bzip2 vuln).

> 2. David should make appropriate tickets on the Homebrew site (individual
> ones, not one big one) for the naming conventions, etc... that you would
> like homebrew to use.  I'm sure they'll be evenhanded.  Note item #3 though
> when making the tickets.
> 3. Virtually all Mac users of rabbitmq are using it for development.
>  Production installations for the Mac users are running Linux (frequently
> Ubuntu).
> 4. The documentation needs a major overhaul - soon.
> 5. The codebase should be hosted on Github.com for easier interaction with
> the wider community.
> 6. "it's unlikely we are going to repeat that effort for homebrew (unless
> macports dies or something)." - Macports is dying - I hate to break it to
> people.  Agreed, it is way ahead of Homebrew in maturity, but MacPorts is
> too flawed to continue on.  The fundamental issue is that Mac is not a
> server OS, so the pace of iteration on the platform is much faster than on
> something like Debian/Ubuntu where it's been using the same package manager
> for years and will continue to be.  All the mature features of MacPorts are
> useless because nobody uses Mac as a server for anything but internal office
> functions and specialized rendering stuff.  The vanguard of Mac users has
> already moved to Homebrew even though it's only a few months old - that
> battle is over.

I really don't see this, but I have no problem with it being your opinion.

I would also like to comment about google groups. Please god no!
I am subscribed to a few google groups, and the raw amount of spam I
get through a google group mailing list compared to a more classic
mailing list (off google groups on some mailman, etc) is significant.
An example: http://ejohn.org/blog/google-groups-is-dead/