[rabbitmq-discuss] Thoughts from a new user

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 24 23:41:55 BST 2010

Adam,

Adam Nelson wrote:
> I'm kind of confused about your point.  Ubuntu isn't even beyond the 1.8
> series and it's likely one of the most heavily used production
> distributions of rabbitmq.

Ubuntu is an excellent example. They have quite a rigid release regime,
so it can take a while for an upstream package to make it into a
release. Ubuntu users are used to that. The question is, what do
homebrew users expect?

We do have contacts at Canonical who we liaise with regarding the
rabbitmq packaging. Quite a few issues with rabbit and its packaging
have been resolved that way.  We'd like that situation to be the same
for homebrew one day. Let's see what we can do in the meantime ...

> I don't know why there's pushback on this.  Everybody who responded to
> this thread who uses Mac was +1 for simply including Homebrew in your
> documentation.

My underlying motivation for enquiring about the maintainer status of
the rabbitmq homebrew formula is so that I can phrase the addition to
our documentation appropriately.

I've taken a first stab at mentioning homebrew in
http://www.rabbitmq.com/server.html.

I'd also like to add something to http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html
at some point but that involves first figuring out what the equivalent
of http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#macports looks like for
homebrew, which I am not in a position to ascertain atm.

Regards,

Matthias.