[rabbitmq-discuss] Homebrew RabbitMQ

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 24 07:46:16 BST 2010

Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at rabbitmq.com> writes:
> On 23/09/2010 08:22, David Wragg wrote:
>> - It should create and use a rabbitmq user/group, and include the
>>   wrapper scripts to support this.
>
> I disagree with this: it's against the homebrew "no sudo" philosophy:
> http://wiki.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/installation#sudo

That seems to be arguing that you shouldn't have to sudo to do the
build.  Which is something I completely agree with.

It also also says that you shouldn't need sudo to install textmate or
wget.  That's fair enough, I suppose.

But it doesn't address system services.  We package rabbitmq-server to
run as a system service, because that's the way most people will want to
run it.

If the hoembrew policy is that you should just run everything under your
user account, that seems very short-sighted to me.

>> - We need to have a way to distribute an update package when we make a
>>   new release, for users that are willing to bypass the central
>>   repository.
>
> Maintaining a fork of homebrew on github is one good option here. It's also a
> good way of getting the new package accepted upstream.
>
>> We've made all this work for macports; it's unlikely we are going to
>> repeat that effort for homebrew (unless macports dies or something).
>
> Fair, though really, my (!) experience getting Rabbit running on
> Homebrew was far, far more pleasant that getting it running on
> Macports.

So the question is whether that would continue to be the case if the
homebrew formula was updated to be comparable to the macports port.  The
macports port might be a lot more convenient to install if we cut all
the same corners.

David

--
David Wragg