[rabbitmq-discuss] Generally known configuration for open file descriptor limits

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:50:37 BST 2010

Dave,

You definitely need more file descriptors than number of connections.

As a rule of thumb I'd suggest:
 - 1 file descriptor for every connection
 - 3+ file descriptors for every queue that might be written to disk
 - reserve about 100 descriptors for internal erlang stuff

There isn't any penalty from setting high 'ulimit -n', so why not just
set it to maximum?

On linux:
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
ulimit -n 1048576