[rabbitmq-discuss] Delay delivering messages

Alexandru Scvorţov alexandru at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 3 09:29:34 BST 2010

Hi Michael,

> We are putting a very low volume of messages through and have sometimes had
> to wait up to 15 minutes for a single message to be delivered (at the time
> this was the only message in the system).

That sounds strage.  Are you up for a bit of debugging?

Download the java client,
 http://www.rabbitmq.com/java-client.html

Unpack it, and run
  sh runjava.sh com.rabbitmq.examples.MulticastMain -x 1 -y 1

That command will run one of our example programmes in a way that
matches your setup: 1 producer (-x 1) and 1 consumer (-y 1).

When I run it, I get speeds like:
  recving rate: 6052 msg/s, min/avg/max latency: 1063522/1118048/1164637 microseconds
  sending rate: 6419 msg/s, basic returns: 0 ret/s

If you're getting similar speeds, there's probably something wrong with
the consumers/producers.  If not, it might be something to do with the
server.

Could you please try it?

Also, which version the broker and which client are you using?

Cheers,
Alex