[rabbitmq-discuss] Active/active HA setup

Alexis Richardson alexis at rabbitmq.com
Thu Sep 2 18:44:21 BST 2010

Jiri

That answered my questions.  Now, as I understood your example:

a. you don't mind messages being lost
*and*
b. you don't use the secondary until after the primary has failed.

Note that if consumption is completely 'fire and forget' then it is possible
that a message from the primary may *arrive* after a message from the
secondary.  But this can happen whether you use sequence numbers or not.

So if the primary broker fails, why not just forget all undelivered
messages?  Consumers will know that any message consumed from the secondary
must be later in *all* orderings than any message consumed from the primary.
 So, additional sequence numbering is not necessary.

alexis