[rabbitmq-discuss] gen_server2 ques. and was: Re: clarifying plugin supervision, configuration

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Thu Sep 2 16:13:20 BST 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 09:50:31AM -0500, Jon Brisbin wrote:
>> What are the advantages to using the gen_server2 module rather than stock erlang gen_server? Would it be better in general for the webhooks plugin to use gen_server2?
>
> Best explained by reading the comments at the top of the gen_server2
> module.

Sure. Did that. But I'm wondering (out loud ;) if some of the situations described there (ordered delivery, hibernate etc...) wouldn't nicely fit what the webhooks plugin is doing. It will sit for periods of time with little activity and it would be nice to have that hibernation (though I don't know that I could take full advantage of it). I'm just not sure that spending time trying to use those features would really buy that much. I was wondering if there's a rule of thumb that's been discovered here that your situation should hit X number of messages or it should be doing Y before you really need to worry about using gen_server2? I'm not terribly afraid of being tied to an internal API because it'll likely stay a plugin for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!

J. Brisbin
http://jbrisbin.com/