[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ and queue message limits?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 1 04:22:51 BST 2010

Christian,

Christian Legnitto wrote:
> For my use case I only care about the timeliness of the message as
> long as I am resource constrained. If I have ample resources I'd be
> willing to have the messages sit there for months.

Interesting. That implies you don't actually want some fixed thresholds
per queue but a means for rabbit to automatically evict some messages
when disk space becomes tight. Though some per-queue controls are
perhaps desirable for this as well, so that rabbit can be guided as to
*which* messages to evict.

Say you have a whole bunch of queues with varying amounts of data,
message ages, and throughput. And now rabbit notices that it is about to
run out of disk space. How should rabbit go about deciding which
messages to evict?

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Regard,

Matthias.