[rabbitmq-discuss] Binding routing key to queue on default exchange

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 29 16:30:01 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 05:17:42PM +0200, Irmo Manie wrote:
> Ah, I see. So the current specs still specify it's possible for a
> queue bind ,but actually its now since that will be removed in 0.10.

Well, don't forget that 0-9-1 came out after 0-10. And I don't think
it's a secret that we're extremely unlikely to ever implement 0-10. It's
more that 0-9-1 or 0-8 don't really specify clearly the role of the
default exchange. MikeB interprets it not as an exchange, but as a
separate publishing mechanism, that is accessible by publishing messages
with no exchange specified - there's no real reason why it has to be a
concrete exchange at all. Thus in light of that, there's substantial
debate whether it makes sense to be able to do any binding actions etc
to it.

Personally, I think the model is cleaner if that exchange/mechanism
doesn't exist at all! But it's clear that it has a lot of utility.

Matthew