[rabbitmq-discuss] problem with new persiter with 1000 topics/queues

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 28 23:17:51 BST 2010

Alex,

alex chen wrote:
> The broker's memory usage grew from 6.2GB to 10 GB 1 hour after the
> consumers were started.

A spike like that is not unusual if you are, say, starting a lot of
connections all at once, have them all declare queues and then start
consuming from them. But rabbit should reduce the memory usage down
below the set limit eventually. Though see below.

> I think the broker only throttles the publisher when the mem high
> water mark is reached

Correct, as long as producers and consumers are on different connections.

> but the consumers can still increase the broker's mem usage?

Delivered but unacknowledged messages are held in RAM. This is something
we are going to change in a future release. Meanwhile, are you setting a
prefetch count? That will bound the number of unacked messages and thus
the memory taken up by them.

Regards,

Matthias.