[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Backup

Amr Mostafa amr.mostafa at egyptdc.com
Wed Oct 27 15:23:41 BST 2010

Hi,

I've been looking into this, and one additional solution from the erlang
land seems to be possible using the functions described in this document:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/mnesia/Mnesia_chap7.html#id74479

Assuming that backing up mnesia is all what's needed.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any ready-to-use tools that abstract the
mnesia routines described in the document above, making them accessible to
the average system administrator.

Best Regards,

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Alex Lovell-Troy <
alex.lovelltroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been tackling this problem as well for transactional persistent
> messages on durable queues in a very low traffic situation.  Our solution
> was to write a small wrapper around the transaction that also commits the
> message content to a database and then transactionally deletes the message
> from the database as part of the ack.  The wrapper also stores information
> about the queues and routing on startup.  With that, an additional small
> script can recreate our queues in the case of host death.  It's certainly
> not fast, but it is durable and keeps us from using the anti-pattern of
> polling the database for status changes.
>
> Since our queues and routing don't change very often, we think that a
> slow/triggered update of that information is good enough which only leaves
> the messages themselves.   We've been thinking of using erlang directly to
> bind to the ETS table on the rabbitmq host and dump the messages to a fresh
> ETS table on another node for a less db-centric backup/HA option.  We're
> still not sure if that's a good idea or if it is workable, but it may point
> you in another direction.
>
> I'd be happy to hear if anyone else has already ascertained if this route
> is fraught with danger.
>
> -sascha
>

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Ahmed M. Osman <a.medhat.cs at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello Friends,
>>
>> i just have a little question about RabbitMQ backup and i hope that i can
>> found the answer here
>>
>> simply, i want to make backup and and restore system to my Rabbit server,
>> mainly backup the persistent messages, do i have to handle this using
>> extra consumer that consume the messages then save it and enqueue it again
>> in the queue ?
>>
>> or backuping Mnesia, but according to the following link
>> http://www.rabbitmq.com/faq.html#migrate-to-another-machine
>> i think backupping Mnesia won't be a good solution.
>>
>> and if backuping Mnesia is the solution are there a way to use any other
>> language to make this backup other than using Erlang or any command or
>> command line tool.
>>
>> *--
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Ahmed