[rabbitmq-discuss] texlive dependency in rabbitmq-server portfile

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 13 00:16:47 BST 2010

Hi Greg,

Meredith Gregory <lgreg.meredith at gmail.com> writes:
> The rabbitmq-server port recently (as in the last few months) picked up a
> dependency on texlive. That would be fine -- except that the texlive macport
> install trounces the TeTex macport install. i use the TeTex macport install.
> The build environment for the book i'm writing for Artima doesn't work well
> with texlive. Is possible to make a rabbitmq-server portfile that doesn't
> pull in texlive?

It's a transitive dependency via the xmlto port.  There are a few ways
that we or the maintainers of the xmlto port could fix this.  Perhaps
the easiest thing for us to do in the short term would be to simply drop
the man pages from the port, but we would prefer not to do that.  Other
fixes might involve more work, and/or involve using less mature macports
features.

But thanks for letting us know that this isn't simply an issue of
unnecessary dependencies, but does actually cause you a specific
problem.

The easiest workaround for you in the short term might be to use the
generic unix package that we distribute, which is reported to work under
OS X (and does have the man pages :)

David

P.S. Someone will be along shortly to unconditionally recommend
homebrew.

--
David Wragg
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ