[rabbitmq-discuss] Tutorials for RabbitMQ

Tim Child tim at cantemo.com
Sat Oct 9 14:28:07 BST 2010

So I just ran through the tutorials on a fresh Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server with RabbitMQ installed.

Overall:

Good basic level of tutorial, and the basics of queuing.

In Tutorial One:

You mentioned how to install PIP, and Pika but not how to install Git - which didn't come on my fresh Ubuntu installation.

In Tutorial Two:

Basic I know, but its a step that is missing:

chmod +x new_task.py

In Tutorial Three:

All though we deal with the the fanout exchange type, it might be wise to include a link to the documentation which describes the other types of exchange types.

"Secondly, once we disconnect the client the queue" - client - should that be the consumer?
chmod -x scripts again

It would also be interesting to say at the end that you can open more than one session of ./receive_logs.py
And to look at:

rabbitmqctl list_bindings.

When you have the receive_logs running and not running.

Maybe next steps:

One of the things that I have actually found harder than implementation of how to work with RabbitMq is actually making good design decisions on queues, bindings, exchanges. Not sure what can be done there, or if there is a good resource of AMQP patterns.

Good stuff anyway!

Tim.