[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-auth-backend-ldap compiling.

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Sun Nov 28 15:35:43 GMT 2010

On 28/11/2010 3:02PM, Matt Miller wrote:
> Has anyone compiled the rabbitmq-auth-backend-ldap plugin? I'm
> wondering if the plugin is too new for me to check it out.

It's pretty new, and very raw. It also depends on changes to the server
that have not even started to go through our QA process - which is why I
haven't started making a fuss about it on this list yet :)

So if you're feeling *very* brave "hg update bug23455" in
rabbitmq-server and rabbitmq-erlang-client, then make clean everywhere,
then build the server, then the erlang client, then the auth plugin. If
you want the management plugin, that also needs the repository
"rabbitmq-management-agent", both on bug23455 as well.

ATM it does a credible job of authentication (i.e. login), but
authorisation (i.e. permissions) is very half done. And the
documentation is pretty rough. And it chews through LDAP connections
like water. But apart from that...

I'd be interested to hear from you (and anyone else) how you'd want to
do authorisation under LDAP, since at the moment I'm still working out
the best way to generally map AMQPish concepts into the LDAP world. ATM
only users really live in LDAP, putting AMQP objects in LDAP isn't
really feasible, so the mapping needs to be defined by the sysadmin
somewhat.

(Oh, and I'm not working on this for at least the next week, another
Secret Project is taking my time...)

Cheers, Simon